Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Getting settled into the new year..........





It's hard to believe another year has come and gone. We welcomed our 5th grandchild in November, it's 3 girls and 2 boys. We are so very fortunate to have healthy, happy grandkids. I did some knitting for him, blankies, coccoons (which his mom loved), some burp cloths, wash cloths and these little mittens and of course the hats!

Adapting the above pattern I made some booties for my friends Tom and Mary's dog Buster. Tom enjoys cross-country skiing with Buster tagging alone. Hopefully these can keep his tootsies a bit warmer!

The first week of January I donated 31 hats and 5 scarfs to the Blue Valley Multi-Service center to donate to needy people. The center not only services people in the Blue Valley are but they also support the Salvation Army shelter in Johnson County. They will definitely get used as we have had one of the worst winters in many years so far. Keely and Papa had lots of fun playing out in the snow on the days when the temperature was somewhat reasonable. She loves the snow and could stay out for hours.

I am really enjoying volunteering weekly at Children's Mercy South Hospital. I am working in the Child Life In-patient department so I get lots of interaction with babies, children and their parents. It is so rewarding to be able to be a part of making a not so great situation a little bit bearable. The Child Life department is instrumental in helping children and parents deal with the stresses of hospital stays.

My horse Avalon is moving to another barn at the end of this month after living most of his life at White Fox. I have been at that barn for over 20 years so it is definitely a change. Johnson County Parks and Rec raised the board by $100 a month which I find intolerable. I wonder if they are trying to find a way to close down the facility. Fortunately for me I have a friend who has a small boarding facility (about 35 horses) and she had room for me. Not only that her rate is going to less than what I was paying. She also lined up a teenage girl to half-lease him since I don't ride very much. I have a feeling though that I will get out there more often, at least I hope so. We shall see....................

Off to do some knitting and corcheting, HAPPY 2010!






No comments:

Post a Comment